Civil Engineering Assistant (CTS)
- Job DescriptionThe individual in this job supervises construction of buildings, roads, canals etc. according to specifications/drawings and attends to their repair and maintenance under guidance of Engineer In Charge. Inspects site, prepares rough estimates, undertakes contour surveys, conducts levelling operations, marks lay out according to plan and instructions and commences work under his guidance and supervision. Checks materials to ensure their conformity with prescribed specifications. Measures completed portion of work and gets them checked and approved by the engineer concerned. Maintains accounts of departmental work and records of day to day measurements, labour engaged, materials used etc.
- Originally Approved
- Last Revised
- NSQF LevelLevel 5
- Notional Hours4160
- Accrediting BodiesDirectorate General of Training (DGT)
- Certifying BodiesDirectorate General of Training (DGT)
- Proposed Occupation
Civil Engineering Assistant has a wide scope of Employability ranging from self-employment, contractual employment to Industrial jobs. On successful completion of this course, the candidates shall be gainfully employed in the industries for following occupations:
- Civil Engineering Technicians
- Overseer, Civil Engineering
- International Comparability
1. Existence of any official document suggesting the comparability of the qualification with the qualifications in other countries is not known.
2. However, ITI passed out trainees are getting employment in many Gulf countries, European countries, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore etc.
- Progression Pathway
- Can take admission in Diploma course in notified branches of Engineering by lateral entry.
- Can join Apprenticeship programme in different types of industries leading to National Apprenticeship certificate (NAC).
- Can join Crafts Instructor Training Scheme (CITS) in the trade for becoming an instructor in ITIs.
- Can join as Assistant supervisor in construction site of high Rise Buildings/Architect's office/Builders
- Start own agency for construction equipments contract /own building maintenance contract
- Planned arrangements for RPL
1. At present the students who have passed 10th class with minimum 3 years’ experience in relevant field can appear for NCVT theory and practical semester examination directly.
2. The students who have passed SCVT examination in ‘Civil Engineering Assistant’ can also appear for the NCVT Examination in the relevant semester and Trade directly.
- Qualification File QF_Civil Engineering Assistant_CTS_NSQF-5.pdf
- Supporting Documents
- Formal structure of the qualification
Title of unit or other component Estimated size (Hours) Level Recognize & comply safe working practices, environment regulation and housekeeping. 40 4 Draw free hand sketches of hand tools used in civil work with proper layout and folding of drawing sheets 40 4 Draw Symbols, Lettering, Numbering, plane figure applying drawing instruments and practice dimensioning Technique as per BIS. 40 5 Construct plain scale, comparative scale, diagonal scale and vernier scale 40 5 Draw orthographic projections of different objects with proper lines and dimensioning. 80 5 Draw Isometric, oblique and perspective views of different solid, hollow and cut sections with proper lines and dimensions as per standard convention 40 5 Draw component parts of a single storied residential building with suitable symbol and scales. 40 5 Create objects on CAD workspace using Toolbars, Commands, Menus, formatting layer and style. 80 4 Identify different types of building materials i.e. Stones, Bricks, Lime, Pozzolanic, Cement, Sand, Clay Products, Mortar their characteristic, types, use & function. 40 5 Mark different types of Foundation and Set out Foundation trenches 80 5 Demonstrate different types of brick masonry and Tools used in different bonds. Perform construction of wall - header bond, stretcher bond, English bond, Flemish bond 40 5 Perform different types of Plastering & Pointing, rendering & wall cladding. 40 5 Identify the different types of Protective materials i.e. Paint, Varnish and their application 40 5 Demonstrate Damp Proof Course in different position. 40 5 Prepare different types of Flooring 40 5 Perform site survey with Chain/Tape and prepare the site Plan 40 5 Perform the site survey using prismatic compass 40 5 Perform site survey with plane table and prepare a map 40 5 Prepare topography map by contours with levelling instruments. 40 5 Perform a site survey with Theodolite and prepare site plan 40 5 Perform a site survey with Total Station and prepare site plan. 40 5 Identify timber and perform sawing and planning using hand and power tools 40 5 Demonstrate surface finish with exact sizing by planning operation 40 5 Prepare different wooden Joints. (Range of skill - framing joint, Housing joints, broadening joints, Lengthening joints ) 120 5 Make small wooden job as per drawing with schedule sizes of timber or alternatives of timber i.e. FRP, MDF, FOAM using various hardware. 40 5 Make different types of doors and windows with fixing of component. 120 5 Demonstrate joining of electrical wire and carry out soldering, crimping observing related safety precautions. 40 5 Demonstrate Electrical wiring with fixing of accessories conforming ISI rules (Range of skills - different types of Electrical wiring, joining of Fuses, fixing of MCB, connection of lamp with switch and different fitting, etc.) 120 5 Demonstrate installation of electrical appliances, earthing and estimate costing of wiring 40 5 Identify different type of transformers and test and use. 40 5 Prepare a Simple pipe connection demonstrating cutting, joining of pipe with different method using different types of fittings. 120 5 Prepare layout of soil pipe and waste pipe with different types of sanitary fittings 80 5 Prepare a water supply system in residential buildings using different types of valves, fittings and appliances. 120 5 Create objects on 3D Modelling concept in CAD 40 4 Demonstrate test and analysis of cement, aggregate, sand, effect of water cement ratio. 80 5 Prepare concrete; carry out simple form work and reinforcement with the application of modern Power Tools 80 5 Prepare reinforcement of different R.C.C. members i,e., Foundation, beams, columns, slabs, Retaining Wall, etc. 160 5 Erect scaffolding and make intricate form work at different locations 160 4 Prepare a bar bending schedule and demonstrate bar bending and calculate the estimated quantity of materials. 120 5 Make different types of arches and lintels with chajja. 80 5 Lay out different types of vertical movement according to shape, location, materials by using stair, lift, ramp and escalator. 160 5 Explain pile foundation 80 4 Prepare a Single Storied Residential Building Plan as per local by law using CAD 120 5 Demonstrate Archi CAD and 3D Max for Solid Modelling of Architectural / Civil 3D Drawing 40 5 Prepare Solid Modelling of Architectural /Civil 3D Drawing using 3d Max and Revit software 40 5 Work out rate analysis of different item of works with detailed Specification 40 5 Prepare a detail estimate of one room building by centre line method and separate wall method, calculate the quantities of materials involved from the above estimated quantities & prepare a abstract of cost for the above item of works. 120 5 Perform repair Plastering, white washing, painting flooring, replacing of glass, repolishing of floor, stain removal from floor, wooden works. 40 5 Perform field training of Foundation failure, Strengthening of foundation, Rectification of leaking roof, Repair of expansion joint 40 5 Demonstrate anti - termite treatment and Market survey for different materials used in anti termite treatment. 40 5 Layout of house plumbing and drainage plan, repairing of service main, waist outlet cleaning of sanitary installation, scrapping and painting of pipes of a new site. 80 5 Demonstrate use of Adhesive in timber, tile fixing, jointing in concrete, joint filler & sealing compound. 40 5 Demonstrate different types of construction equipments in Excavation, Hoisting, Conveying, Drilling 80 5 Demonstrate Construction Management i.e. manpower, materials, machines and economy. 200 5 Project Work, Revision, Examination 440 5 Total 4160
- Formal structure of the qualification