Machinist Grinder (CTS)
- Originally Approved
- Last Revised
- SectorCapital Goods & Manufacturing
- NSQF LevelLevel 5
- Notional Hours4160
- Accrediting BodiesDirectorate General of Training (DGT)
- Certifying BodiesDirectorate General of Training (DGT)
- Proposed Occupation
Machinist Grinder has a wide scope of Employability ranging from self-employment, contractual employment to Industrial jobs. On successful completion of this course, the candidates shall be gainfully employed in the industries for following occupations:
• Grinder, General
• Surface Grinder
• Roll Grinder
• Honer/Honing Machine Operator
• Grinder, Tool and Cutter
• In public sector and private industries in
India & abroad.
• Self employment
- International Comparability
1. Existence of any official document suggesting the comparability of the qualification with the qualifications in other countries is not known.
2. However, ITI passed out trainees are getting employment in many Gulf countries, European countries, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore etc.
- Progression Pathway
• Can appear in 10+2 examination through National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) for acquiring higher secondary certificate and can go further for General/ Technical education.
• Can take admission in diploma course in notified branches of Engineering by lateral entry.
• Can join Apprenticeship programme in different types of industries leading to National Apprenticeship certificate (NAC).
• Can join Crafts Instructor Training Scheme (CITS) in the relevant trade after
- Planned arrangements for RPL
1. At present the students who have passed 10th class with minimum 3 years’ experience in relevant field can appear for NCVT theory and practical semester examination directly.
2. The students who have passed SCVT examination in ‘Machinist Grinder’ trade can also appear for the NCVT Examination in the relevant semester and Trade directly.
- Qualification File QF_CTS_Machinist Grinder.pdf
- Supporting Documents
- Formal structure of the qualification
Title of unit or other component Mandatory/ Optional Estimated size (Hours) Level Semester – I Plan and organize the work to make job as per specification applying different types of basic fitting operation and check for dimensional accuracy by using steel rule, caliper etc. [Basic Fitting operation- marking, hack sawing, chiseling, filing,, drilli 240 4 Produce simple components by setting different machine parameters and performing different lathe operation [Different machine parameters: - Cutting, speed, feed, depth of cut; Different lathe operation – Facing, plain turning, taper turning, boring and si 200 5 Perform grinding wheel mounting, balancing, dressing, truing and set surface grinder to make job by rough & finish grinding and check accuracy with precision measuring instrument [Accuracy limit:- ±0.25mm.] 160 5 Set cylindrical grinder to produce job/ components by performing external and internal cylindrical operation and check accuracy [Accuracy limit:- ±0.25mm.] 200 5 Semester – II Set up cylindrical grinder for automatic movement to perform different cylindrical grinding operation using different machine accessories and check accuracy [Different cylindrical grinding:- straight parallel, taper, bush eccentric; Different machine acce 320 5 Perform dry & wet grinding to make different shaped job of various metals and check accuracy. [Different shaped job: - square block angle plate, angular block; various metal: - cast iron, steel & accuracy limit ±0.02 mm.] 80 5 Make a component by performing bore grinding and check accuracy by telescopic gauge. [Accuracy limit ±0.02 mm.] 40 5 Perform operations on tools & cutter grinder and re-sharpening different tools on pedestal grinder. [Different tools: - lathe tools, drill, tool bit] 40 4 Make components having angular and straight surface and check accuracy with different gauges and instruments. [Different components: - V’ block, parallel bar, drill point angle; Different gauges: - sine bar, slip gauge & DTI (dial test indicator) and accu 160 5 Perform preventive maintenance of grinding machines. [Grinding machines: - surface and cylindrical] 40 4 Make job of different material by cylindrical parallel grinding with appropriate accuracy. [Different material: - soft & hard metals; Accuracy limit±0.01mm] 80 5 Semester – III Perform re-sharpening of different milling cutters [Different milling cutters: -plain, slitting saw] 80 4 Make different components having straight & angular surface with close tolerance limit and check different fault. [Different components: - V’ block, plain cylindrical bar, cube; tolerance limit - ±0.01mm; different faults - cracks, blow-holes, chatters] 320 5 Make different gauges with close tolerance limit and check accuracy with different gauges. [Different gauges: - snap gauge, ring gauge; tolerance limit- (H7/h7); Checking gauges- ring, plug] 160 5 Produce different components of non-ferrous metal within appropriate accuracy. [Different components - taper pin, rectangular bar; accuracy limit- ±0.01mm.] 120 5 Produce different components involving cylindrical angular grinding operation to close limit accuracy. [Different componentslathe centre, milling machine arbor; accuracy:- h6 or H6] 160 5 Semester – IV Prepare surface of a component by honing operation & Check accuracy. [Accuracy limit: ±0.001mm] 40 4 Produce components by different taper grinding operation and check accuracy. [Different taper grinding: - compound or double taper, steep taper, morse taper; accuracy limit- ±0.008mm.] 240 5 Produce male and female components by different grinding to close tolerance limit. [Different grinding: - step and slot grinding; tolerance limit- H6/h5] 160 5 Prepare surface of a job by performing lapping & buffing to close limit h5. 40 5 Make components by different grinding to close tolerance limit and check accuracy. [Different grinding: - cylindrical taper, surface grinding & shoulder grinding; tolerance limit- h6] 160 5 Identify different components of CNC lathe to understand working and prepare part programme by using simulation software. 200 5 Revision, Project work and Examination 920 Sub Total (A) 4160
- Formal structure of the qualification