- Job DescriptionLineman performs erection, maintenance, and repairs on the electrical overhead transmission, distribution and underground distribution system. Power linemen work on electrically energized (live) and de-energized (dead) power lines.
- Last Revised
- Notional Hours4120
- Accrediting BodiesDirectorate General of Training (DGT)
- Certifying BodiesDirectorate General of Training (DGT)
- Proposed Occupation
LINEMAN has a wide scope of Employability in Power generation, Transmission, distribution agencies, Electricity boards , contractual employment or self employment.
- Lineman, Light and Power
- Electrical Line Installers, Repairers and Cable Jointers, Other
- International Comparability
1. Existence of any official document suggesting the comparability of the qualification with the qualifications in other countries is not known.
2. However, NAC holder trainees are getting employment in many Gulf countries, European countries, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore etc.
- Planned arrangements for RPL
- Only those candidates will be allowed to appear in the Test conducted by NCVT as Private candidate who have already acquired the National Trade Certificate.
- Three (03) years experience of the candidates wishing to appear as Private candidate after obtaining NTC should be in the same trade in which he proposed to acquire the National Apprenticeship Certificate.
- Private candidates possessing the minimum educational qualification required for engagement as an apprentice in that particular trade and the minimum experience as stated above would only be permitted.
- Candidates are to be sponsored by an establishment and should not be entertained directly.
- Only, the experience acquired by the candidate in an establishment implementing the Apprentices Act, 1961 should be considered and such certificate should be issued by the Officer In-charge of Training of that establishment.
- Qualification File QF - Lineman.pdf
- Supporting Documents
Formal structure of the qualification
Title of unit or other component Estimated size (Hours) Level Observe & practice safety in all electrical works (HT/LT). Practice providing First Aid 40 5 Identify & use all hand tools 40 5 Practice of Drilling, Chiseling, Sawing, Filing, Chipping. 40 5 Practice of different types of welding , Drilling, Chiseling, Sawing, Filing, Chipping. 40 5 Making different types of Joints of Cables or conductor of Single or multi Strands. 40 5 Practice of Jumper and Jumper connections 80 5 Fixing and connection of plugs, sockets, Lamp holder & regulator. 80 5 Electrical wiring: Repair / replace switches, sockets, light points. Provide new points in PVC casing capping & PVC conduits. 80 5 Practice on Earthing- different methods of earthing. Install pipe & plate earth stations Measure earth resistance, improve the same & maintain earth stations. 80 5 Practice to joint cable by removing insulation, armour, jointing of conductors. 100 5 Practice in casing, Capping (PVC) and Conduit wiring . 120 5 Connect & measure voltage, current, resistance, power, energy in DC & AC(1ph & 3ph) circuits 80 5 Charging & maintenance of Batteries. Checking specific gravity, voltage etc. 60 5 Three Phase connection-Star Delta. 40 5 Soldering joints using Aluminum flux and Alca ‘P’ Solder. 80 5 Crimping of different types of cables & conductors. 80 5 Assisting in operation & maintenance of Transformer substation, circuit breakers, batteries etc 200 5 Distribution system-Feeders, Distribution centre, Primary mains, Secondary mains. 120 5 Connecting, programming, testing & Functioning of DC drive. Understanding the alarm & fault indications. 80 5 Wiring for internal Lighting & External Lighting 80 5 Observe & practice safety in all electrical works. Practice providing First Aid. 40 5 Practice to climb & working on Ladders, its operation. 80 5 Practice to erect different type of pole. 80 5 Fixing of brackets, stay rod, insulator on pole, Fixing of cross arms on poles. 80 5 Operation of fuse, all type Circuit Breaker, Isolator & Connection of junction box. 80 5 Connecting power and control wiring of Diesel Generating set. Operation, operating switch gears, trouble shooting & basic maintenance. 80 5 Earthling of HT lines with earth plate. 80 5 Ground wire, Lightening Arrestors of different type at Grid Substation or HT lines. 80 5 Assisting in stringing of overhead line HT/LT. 80 5 Assisting during erection of towers by Build-up method –Foundation and sequence of operation. 100 5 Underground cable joining, HT/LT. Testing of underground cables or overhead cable, trouble shooting, Locating faults, open circuit, short circuit & leakage in cables. 100 5 Operates & maintains transformer substation & equipments like circuit breakers, batteries and other controlling devices. 100 5 Practice to climb on tower and painting of tower after erection to avoid corrosion and dismantling of damage or expire poles/towers. 80 5 Three phase Transmission and their maintenance, faults location using apparatus and remove fault. 80 5 Distribution –Three phase Three wire, Three phase four Wire, Single phase two Wire and three wire. 60 5 Jumper & Jumper Connections, D-link Gang operated switch ,HT blades 80 5 Erection and maintenance of pole type transformer and tap changing. 60 5 Charging or discharging of line using circuit breaker, Isolator. 40 5 Operation & maintenance of Solar cells & Non conventional energy generation system. 80 5 Tower and Tower line erection-Foundation and sequence of operations. Mounting cross arm, pins insulator and Damper etc. 100 5 Basic Training, internal assessment and Examination 1000 Total 4120