- Job DescriptionDialysis Technician operates machines and perform dialysis on patients with acute or chronic kidney failure. They work under the supervision of physicians and nurses, primarily in hospitals, clinics, dialysis centers/facilities, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and long term care facilities. They are responsible for the operation, cleaning, and sterilisation of the dialysis machines. Dialysis Technicians give patients important medical, technical, social, emotional support and also provide vital information on patient conditions to nurses, doctors, and other medical staff.
- CodeHSS/ Q 2701
- NSQF LevelLevel 4
- Notional Hours1400
- Accrediting BodiesHealthcare Sector Skill Council
- Certifying BodiesHealthcare Sector Skill Council
- Proposed Occupation
Operate machines and perform dialysis on patients with acute or chronic kidney failure. They are responsible for the operation- cleaning- and sterilisation of the dialysis machines.
- International Comparability
While writing the NOSs the UK NOSs were also referred to and an effort was taken to maintain comparability in the technical part of the NOSs.
- Progression Pathway
Progression will be possible in both academic as well as professional area as: Level 5- Team Leader/ Supervisor - Dialysis Department or Level 5: Specialization in Advanced Dialysis Techniques through bridge course
- Qualification File NSQF- Dialysis Technician.pdf
- Supporting Documents
- Annexure 2- Occupational Mapping Report
- Annexure 3- Functional Analysis Report - Allied Healthcare & Paramedics - 290413
- Annexure 4-RFP - HSSC NOS
- Annexure 5- Validation Group & Industry Consultations
- Annexure 6- QP-NOS- Certificate of Industry Engagement for building QPs
- Annexure 7- QA of Assessment in HSSC
Formal structure of the qualification
Title of unit or other component Mandatory/ Optional Estimated size (Hours) Level HSS / N 2701 : Collect and assess the patient?s chart and vitals Mandatory 1400 (Cumulative Notional Hour for all NOS) 4 HSS / N 2702 : Manage dialysis machine set up and assemble the extracorporeal circuit Mandatory 4 HSS / N 2703 : Prepare and position the patient for treatment Mandatory 4 HSS / N 2704 : Connect patient to the dialysis machine Mandatory 4 HSS / N 2705 : Monitor technical/ clinical vitals during the treatment Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2706: Unhook patient from the machine Mandatory 4 HSS / N 2707 : Record the treatment Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2708: Conduct pre and post dialysis evaluation Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2709: Maintain and disinfect the delivery system Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2710: Evaluate and prepare the site for cannulation Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2711: Respond to dialysis related emergencies in patient and equipment Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2712: Reprocess dialysers Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 2713: Operate and maintain water treatment plant Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 9604: Work effectively with others Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 9603 (Act within the limits of one?s competence and authority) Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 9606: Maintain a safe healthy and secure working Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 9610: Follow infection control policies and procedures Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 9609: Follow biomedical waste disposal protocols Mandatory 4 HSS/ N 96011: Monitor and assure quality Mandatory 4